Sunday, October 24, 2010

Freezer Apple Pie Filling

I have always wanted to "can" apple pie filling!! Love apple crisp, apple pie, and making turnovers for the kids!!! Well my sisters and I got on a canning kick this year!! We did pickles, salsa, and freezer corn!! We started to look for a yummy pie filling recipe and one of my sisters friends was there visiting when we were doing salsa and mentioned her sister does "freezer pie filling" and freezes it in quart bags!!! So I called her and she shared her recipe! I got the recipe from Kristen Smith who got it from  a friend who I am sure got it from a friend and so in and so on!!! But I got it from Kristen so that's where I'm given the credit!!! This was so easy!!! I ended up getting a box of Honey Crisp apples from my neighbor and ended up with 10 quart bags!!

Peel and slice apples ~ I used and apple corer and peeler and then just sliced the apples in half and had uniform slices but it doesn't matter what you use, just peel and slice them all about the same size.
I sliced all my apples and put them in a big Tupperware bowl with about 1 cup lemon juice to keep from turning brown. When done slicing all apples combine in each 1 qt. bag....

3 cups apples ~ draining most of the water out of the measuring cup
1 cup sugar
1/8tsp flour ~ I added 1 T. cause of the little bit of water from the apples
1/8tsp cinnamon ~ I added 1/2 t. ~ like it cinammony
dash of lemon juice ~ I left this out of each individual bag because I put it in with the apples at the beginning
Remove air, seal, and then I just kinda mushed the bag all around until everything mixed together
If need to remove extra air again and freeze flat.
Let thaw on counter or in fridge before using!!
It's not an exact recipe but I don't think you can mess it up! You can try one bag and then add more or less water, and then adjust your flour from there!! And I did add more cinnamon! See what it looks like after ya mixed and smooshed everything together!! I'll share my recipe for apple crisp and Kristen gave me one using a spice cake mix I can't wait to try!! Yum!!

No comments: